Friday, November 13, 2009

How can I meet more people outside of school?

As you can see, I go to a school I hate (it's not that big) and I'm looking to meet more diverse people (Blacks, Hispanics, more Asians) because I'm asian. I live in this small, boring *** suburban town where it's not even diverse at all. I want to meet more people outside this school and town. My family %26amp; I go to a really small church and won't move to a bigger church where I can meet more people, etc.

How can I meet more people outside of school?
Sounds like the town I grew up in, ugh. :) Do you live close to a city? My town was an hour outside Dallas, TX. Think about driving up their once a week to do whatever you enjoy--volunteer work is a great way to meet diverse people; take a breakdancing class, participate in a big church there if you like.





In your own town, it might be impossible to meet that many diff people because they don't exist--maybe your town is like mine, and there aren't any asians there. Still, you can boost the time you spend in other towns by participating in activities in your town outside school--I was part of a drama club at the community theater and that was fun. Something else you might think about is spending a few weeks over the summer at a diverse camp--you can build relationships there and maintain them throughout the year via e-mail, text messages, etc. If you search the internet, you'll be able to find good organizations that offer internships, retreats, camps, etc. that you could get involved in.





Hope that helps--good luck!
Reply:Ask you teachers at school. There are school projects and competitions that you can enter into: math, science, language arts, sports, etc. You'll be able to travel to a larger city close by your home. Try to get involved with sports and summer camps in your area. Please ask your minister about Youth Camp and Youth Retreats, etc. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment